INTERNATIONAL COUNCIL OF WOMEN : http://www.icw-cif.org
CONCEIL NATIONAL DES FEMMES (CIF)
Founded in 1988
UNITING NATIONAL COUNCILS OF WOMEN
WORLDWIDE IN GLOBAL ACTION
nternational peace and justice
apacity building for women
omen’s human rights
and rights for all people
ICW-CIF Mission Statement.
To unite National Councils of Women’s non-governmental organizations from all parts ofthe world for action to improve the status of women and the well-being of society
The International Council of Women promotes.
- Equal rights and responsibilities for women and men,
- Peace and understanding through international co-operation, negotiation and reconciliation,
- The fuller integration of women as decision-makers in peace making and peace building,
- Human rights for all people.
- The elimination of all forms of discrimination,
- Sustainable development.
- Women’s leadership development,
- Communication and networking worldwide.
The International Council of Women takes action through.
- Seminars and workshops to build skills,
- Development of its regional councils: ECICW (European Center); Regional Council of the Americas; Regional Council of Africa; APRC (Asia-Pacific Regional Council),
- Voices of ICW-CIF permanent representatives at meetings of UN agencies in New York, Vienna, Geneva, Rome, Paris and Nairobi,
- Advocacy annually at the UN Commission on the Status of Women,
- Training on CEDAW reporting (Convention on the Elimination of All forms of Discrimination Against Women).
ICW-CIF takes action through 5 Standing Committees working to encourage national Councils to bring information and advocate on outstanding challenges for women.
ICW-CIF Standing Committees – “the powerhouse of the organization” – each with a Coordinator and 4 Advisors, are:
- Status of Women:
Legislation – Human Rights
Implementation of Conventions – International Relations and Peace
- Sustainable Development:
Economics – Consumers Affairs
Women and Employment – Rural and Urban Women
- General Well-Being:
Health – Environment
Habitat – Nutrition
- Social Issues:
Child in Family – Youth
Ageing – Migration
Education – Mass Media
Arts and Letters – Music
The Standing Committees report through Plans of Action on issues of critical concern to women and society within a three-year theme agreed on at the ICW-CIF General Assembly.
ICW-CIF empowers women through projects and programmes
Helping women to help themselves in practical action including:
- Literacy skills
- Food safety
- Infant feeding
- Animal breeding
- Women and HIV/AIDS
- Clean water and sanitation
- Income generating projects
- Building efficient stoves and rice mills
- Sustainable development
- Training women in leadership and decision making
And through Project Five-0 in partnership with…
- Business and Professional women
- International Federation of University of Women
- Soroptimist International
- Zonta International
The International Council of Women is:
- In general Consultative status with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC),
- Represented in New York, Geneva, Vienna, Rome, Paris, Nairobi in all UN Agencies,
- In official relationship with the World Health Organization (WHO),
- A member of the Board of the Conference of Non-Governmental Organizations (CONGO),
- A partner in Project Five-O
International Council of Women Headquarters / Secretariat
13, rue Caumartin,
75009, Paris, France
Such: +33 1 47 42 19 40
Fax:+33 1 42 66 26 23